The former Trinity Wesleyan Methodist Church on Waterloo Street and Bismarck Street, currently being converted into a mosque
Wesleyan Methodism came to Glodwick early, although the preachers were not always well received. The first recorded instance is of the visit of John Valton from Manchester when he preached in the open-air.
Methodism gained a permanent foothold in 1862 when Cottage Services and Class Meetings were held at the home of Robert Allen and his wife, followed by the establishment of another class at the home of Mrs. Naylor. This eventually led to the establishment of a Sunday School and Services in a room at the Mutual Improvement Society, Nuggett Street, in 1863. The numbers of scholars steadily increased until an enforced transfer to an inadequate room started affecting attendance. A decision was made to rent the Old Garrett, Well Fold and the schoolroom was opened there in November 1865 for Sunday School and preaching.
By 1870 there were upwards of 200 scholars and teachers and better accommodation was required. An appeal was launched for the erection of a purpose-built building. In April, 1871 the first School Chapel was opened in Pitt Street, Glodwick.
Eventually it became apparent that a place for worship was needed separate from the classes. A trust was formed and in April 1883 the Trinity Wesleyan Church, Waterloo Street, was opened. The Sunday School classes continued to grow and the Chapel was used for some of them. In 1886 it was decided that a new Sunday School was needed. This was eventually built on Bismarck Street on land adjoining the chapel and was opened in September 1903.
In September 1969 the Methodists moved out of the building. The church was bought by the New Testament Church of God who had been using the schoolrooms for their services. The church was dedicated to the New Testament Church of God on 20 June 1970.
The Sunday School on Bismarck Street also closed in the late 1960s and as Bismarck House it was later used for commercial purposes.
The collection covers the period from 1866 when the meetings were held at the Old Garrett, Well Fold, to 1964 when the Church and Sunday School were a well established part of the community.
The Church was eventually purchased by the Muslim community in Oldham and was converted to a Mosque